Current Affairs: 30th July 2019
- Parliament has passed the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019 or Triple Talaq bill, with the Rajya Sabha approving it this evening.
- Lok Sabha today passed the Consumer Protection Bill, 2019 that aims at protecting the interests of consumers by establishing authorities for timely and effective administration and settlement of consumers’ dispute.
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) today officially launched the inaugural World Test Championship (WTC).
- Indian Test opener Prithvi Shaw has been suspended by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) till November 15, 2019, for a doping violation.
Current Affairs: 29th July 2019
- Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa proved his majority in the Legislative Assembly today.
- Global Tiger Day is observed today. According to the All India Tiger Estimation 2018, India has 2,967 tigers, a third more than in 2014.
Current Affairs: 28th July 2019
- The Karnataka Legislative Assembly Speaker, K R Ramesh Kumar, has disqualified the entire 14 rebel MLAs who had submitted their resignation letters to him. Among the disqualified MLAs, 11 are from Congress and three from JD(S).
- The third edition of Khelo India Youth Games will be held in Guwahati next year. Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju announced the decision.
- MC Mary Kom, the six-time world champion, defeated Australia’s April Franks 5-0 in the 23rd President’s Cup to clinch the gold medal in 51kg category final in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia.
Current Affairs: 27th July 2019
- The GST Council has decided to reduce GST Rate on Electrical Vehicles from 12 percent to 5 percent.
- Central Reserve Police Force, CRPF, today paid tributes to those who laid down their lives for the nation, at the National Police Memorial in New Delhi on the occasion of its 81st Raising Day.
Current Affairs: 26th July 2019
- The Lok Sabha has passed The Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2019. The Bill seeks to amend the Companies Act, 2013. It aims to tighten Corporate Social Responsibility compliance, transfer certain responsibilities to National Company Law Tribunal and recategorize certain offenses as civil offenses.
- The 20th Anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas is being celebrated across the country today. The day marks the victory of Indian armed forces in Operation Vijay in 1999.
- The BJP’s BS Yediyurappa was sworn in for the fourth time as Karnataka Chief Minister.
Current Affairs: 25th July 2019
- The Right to Information (RTI) bill seeking significant changes to the transparency law has passed the by Rajya Sabha.
- The Lok Sabha today passed the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage), Bill, 2019 commonly known as Triple Talaq bill by voice vote.
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL) becomes highest-ranked Indian company on the Fortune Global 500 list. It has jumped 42 places and was ranked 106 this year.
Current Affairs: 24th July 2019
- Lok Sabha on Tuesday passed the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (Amendment) Bill, 2019, through voice vote.
- India improved its rank in the Global Innovation Index to 52nd, in 2019, making a significant jump of 5 places in a year.
Current Affairs: 23rd July 2019
- Boris Johnson elected as the new Prime Minister of England. He has been voted the next leader of the Conservative Party. Boris Johnson will replace Theresa May as prime minister.
- The Supreme Court today extended the deadline for publication of final National Register of Citizens, NRC, in Assam by a month, from July 31 to August 31.
- The Lok Sabha today passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2019 by voice vote.
- Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy Loses Trust Vote in the Assembly.
- Today is National Broadcasting day. On this day in 1927, the first ever radio broadcast in the country went on the air from the Bombay Station under a private company, the Indian Broadcasting Company.
Current Affairs: 22nd July 2019
- India’s moon mission Chandrayaan 2 lifted off from its launch pad at Andhra Pradesh’s Sriharikota at 2:43 pm today on GSLV-Mark-Three rocket. From the earth-bound orbit, Chandrayaan-2 will be navigated by the ISRO scientists to near the South Pole of the moon. India would become the fourth ever nation to have a soft-landing on the moon, once Chandrayaan-2 reaches the unexplored area.
- The Lok Sabha today passed a bill to amend the Right To Information (RTI) Act. A proposed amendment to Section 13 of the RTI Act seeks to empower the government to decide the term of the Chief Information Commissioner and Information Commissioners, as opposed to the original term of five years or until the age of 65 (whichever comes sooner).
- Avengers: Endgame, the concluding chapter in a Marvel superhero saga from Walt Disney Co., toppled James Cameron’s Avatar to become the highest-grossing film of all time.
- Akane Yamaguchi defeated PV Sindhu in the final to clinch the Indonesia Open 2019 title. Sindhu lost the final of the BWF Tour Super 1000 tournament 15-21 16-21 to the fourth seed.
Current Affairs: 20th July 2019
- Veteran Congress leader Sheila Dikshit, the longest serving chief minister of Delhi, has died of a cardiac arrest. She was 81. She served as Delhi chief minister for 15 years, between 1998 and 2013.
- President has appointed Governors for six states. Madhya Pradesh Governor Anandi Ben Patel will now be the new Governor of Uttar Pradesh while Lal Ji Tandon, who is the Governor of Bihar, has been shifted to Madhya Pradesh. Phagu Chauhan will be the Governor of Bihar replacing Lal Ji Tandon. Jagdeep Dhankhar has been appointed as the new Governor of West Bengal while Ramesh Bais is the Tripura Governor. Retired Intelligence Bureau special director N. Ravi, who was the Centre’s interlocutor for Naga talks, has been appointed as the Governor of Nagaland.
Current Affairs: 19th July 2019
- The International Cricket Council (ICC), in its Annual Conference meeting, decided to suspend Zimbabwe Cricket with immediate effect. The suspension will see the ICC’s funding to Zimbabwe Cricket frozen and representative teams from Zimbabwe will not be allowed to participate in any ICC events.
- Indian cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar has been inducted into the International Cricket Council (ICC) Hall of Fame. Along with the batting icon, former South African fast bowler and two-time World Cup-winning Australian woman cricketer Cathryn Fitzpatrick were also inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame.
- The Protection of Human Rights(Amendment) Bill 2019 has been passed by voice vote in Lok Sabha today.
Current Affairs: 18th July 2019
- India’s lunar mission Chandrayaan-2 will be launched on the 22nd of this month. The national space agency ISRO has announced that it will be launched onboard the booster GSLV Mark-Three on Monday, at 2:43 pm from the spaceport at Sriharikota.
- Star Indian sprinter Hima Das clinched her fourth gold in a fortnight as she won the 200m race in the Tabor Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic.
Current Affairs: 17th July 2019
- The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has asked Pakistan to review its order of death sentence awarded to Kulbhushan Jadhav, on charges of espionage and conspiracy against Pakistan.
- 2008 Mumbai terror attacks mastermind and Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, was arrested by the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of Pakistan’s Punjab Province.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Rajya Sabha member Anusuiya Uikey as Governor of Chhattisgarh and Senior Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) leader Biswa Bhusan Harichandan as Governor of Andhra Pradesh.
- The Union Cabinet has approved National Medical Commission Bill, 2019. The bill provides for setting up of a National Medical Commission in place of Medical Council of India and repeals the Indian Medical Council Act 1956.
- Parliament has passed the National Investigation Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2019 with the Rajya Sabha approving it today unanimously.
Current Affairs: 15th July 2019
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has called off for today the launch of India’s second mission to Moon – Chandrayaan-2 onboard GSLV MkIII-M1 due to a technical snag.
- India wrestler Vinesh Phogat has won gold in the 53kg category at Yasar Dogu International in Istanbul.
- England lifted their maiden ICC World Cup cricket trophy beating New Zealand in the final that was decided via a Super Over in London. England’s Ben Stokes is named player of the match in the final, while New Zealand’s skipper Kane Williamson was adjudged player of the tournament.
- In Tennis, Serbian Novak Djokovic won his fifth Wimbledon title after defeating Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer 7-6, 1-6, 7-6, 4-6, 13-12 in a match that lasted for more than four hours.
- Lewis Hamilton made a thrilling victory in the Silverstone circuit to win his sixth British Grand Prix, his seventh victory in ten races in 2019.
Current Affairs: 13th July 2019
- Meghalaya became the first state in India to ensure the conservation of water and have own water policy following a nod given by the State Cabinet.
- Managing Director of State Bank of India, Anshula Kant has been appointed as MD and Chief Financial Officer of the World Bank.
- Simona Halep beat Serena Williams 6-2, 6-2 in the women’s singles final to wins the Wimbledon Women’s single title.
- In Table Tennis, the Indian pair of G. Sathiyan and Anthony Amalraj won the bronze at the World Tour Platinum Australian Open.
Current Affairs: 12th July 2019
- The Lok Sabha has passed the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2019 by voice vote. The Bill seeks to establish two new universities- the Central University and the Central Tribal University in Andhra Pradesh.
Current Affairs: 11th July 2019
- World Population Day is being observed today.
- Six candidates, including Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) chief Vaiko and Pattali Makkal Katchi’s (PMK) Anbumani Ramadoss, were Thursday elected unopposed in the biennial elections to Rajya Sabha from Tamil Nadu.
- Simona Halep became the first Romanian woman to reach the Wimbledon final after she defeated Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina 6-1, 6-3.
Current Affairs: 9th July 2019
- Mexico’s men’s soccer team won 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup by defeating United States men with 1-0 in the final.
- Former world champion Mirabai Chanu wins gold on the opening day of the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championship.
Current Affairs: 8th July 2019
- Parliament has passed the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019 with the Rajya Sabha approving it today. This bill will allow voluntary use of Aadhaar as proof of identity for users to open bank accounts and get mobile phone connection.
- Italy’s Prosecco hills northeast of Venice, which have been cultivated for centuries, were added to the World Heritage list by the UN cultural organization.
- The United States of America (USA) won FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019 title after beating the Netherlands by 2-0 in final at Lyon, France.
- Brazil wins the Copa America Cup football tournament 2019 after defeating Peru by 3-1 in the final.
Current Affairs: 6th July 2019
- BJP’s candidates – External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and the party’s OBC Cell member Jugalkishore Thakor have won both Rajya Sabha seats from Gujarat.
- Rohit Sharma becomes the only batsman to scores five centuries in a single edition of the ICC World Cup.
- The Walled City of Jaipur, known for its iconic architectural legacy and vibrant culture, made its entry into the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. The announcement was made after the 43rd Session of the UNESCO. The ancient Mesopotamian city of Babylon has been also declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Current Affairs: 5th July 2019
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman presented the first General Budget of Narendra Modi Government’s second term today. The Union Budget 2019-20 has levied the lower rate of 25 percent corporate tax to all companies with annual turnover up to Rs 400 crore. However, 0.7 percent big companies still fall outside this lower tax ambit. No change proposed for the personal income tax rate below 2 crores. However, Surcharge on individuals having taxable income from 2 crore – 5 crore and 5 crores and above to be enhanced, so that effective tax rate will increase by around 3% and 7% respectively.
Current Affairs: 4th July 2019
- The world-famous Jagannath Rath Yatra began at Puri in Odisha today.
- Indian sprinter Hima Das won the women’s 200m gold, while national record holder shot putter Tajinder Pal Singh Toor bagged a bronze in the Poznan Athletics Grand Prix in Poland.
Current Affairs: 2nd July 2019
- Parliament has passed the Homoeopathy Central Council (Amendment) Bill, 2019 with the Rajya Sabha approving it today.
- Rohit Sharma becomes first Indian cricketer to score 4 centuries in a World Cup. He also became only the 2nd batsman after Sri Lankan batting legend Kumar Sangakkara to score 4 hundred in a single edition of the World Cup.
- Indian pro boxer Vaibhav Yadav became World Boxing Council (WBC) Asia silver Welterweight Champion after winning the title bout held in Pattaya, Thailand.
Current Affairs: 1st July 2019
- National Doctors’ Day is celebrated today.
- At least 35 people have been killed and 17 injured in a bus accident in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The iconic tennis championships Wimbledon 2019 start in London today.
- The entire state of Nagaland has been declared a “disturbed area” for six more months, till December-end, under the AFSPA.